Two-factor authentication is an immensely more secure option for securing your accounts than just using a password. The process has typically been as simple as putting in a spontaneously generated code that is provided to you via an app or SMS, in addition to your password. The extra time that it takes to fetch and type in the generated codes ensures that your account stays secure even if your password is compromised, offering an extra layer of account security. The extra time is also why astoundingly few people take advantage of two-factor authentication.
Introducing Google Prompt
Google just released Google Prompt, a new two-factor authentication method that allows you to give two-factor authentication security to your Google account with a mere tap on your personal device. There is no more need to generate and enter extra numbers or letters. When logging into your Google account, simply enter your password as usual and then you will see a prompt on your personal device. Tap approve and you will be logged in. Simple and strong security for your account.
It is important to note that this solution requires that your device be connected to the internet. Other cloud-based identity providers, such as OKTA, also have similar solutions for enterprise customers with options such as “mobile push authentication”.
How to enable Google Prompt
Before enabling Google Prompt, you will need to enable Two-factor authentication for your Google account. If you already have Two-factor authentication enabled for your account, you can skip to the next step.
Enable Two-factor Authentication:
- Go to the 2-Step Verification page. You might have to sign in to your Google Account.
- In the “2-Step Verification” box on the right, select Start setup and enter your password again.
- Now provide your phone number you want to use for authenticating, and choose either an SMS or phone call for verification, and click on ‘Try it.’
- Enter the 6-digit code from the SMS or phone call and select ‘Next.’
- For setting up two-step verification, click ‘Turn ON.’
Enable Google Prompt:
Google Prompt uses the Google Search app on iOS devices or the built-in Google Play app on Android devices. If you have an iOS device, start by downloading the Google Search app and sign into it with your Google account, if needed. If you have an Android device, you can simply update your Google Play app.
Once you have the latest Google Search app (for iOS) or Google Play app (for Android),
- On the 2-Step Verification page, select the option for ‘Google Prompt.’
- Select the device you’d like to enable
- Select ‘Try it.’ (Check out Google’s Help Center for more detailed information)
Google Prompt is now enabled, giving you simple to use and strong security for your account.
For more help with simple and strong security for your organization, click below to assess with experienced and innovative CyberSheath security professionals.